AfterLogic WebMail Pro

AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: Database connection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ronc

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 June 2010 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote ronc

I am setting up AfterLogic Webmail on my server and am having issues with the database connection. I'm sure it's just something I'm overlooking but it has me stumped.

I am running Windows 2008 Server with Hyper-V and my web server is a 2003 server install running as a VM under Hyper-V. I open a browser on the Windows host machine (2008 Server) and go to the adminpanel/install.htm on the web server. The page comes up and I go through the license agreement and then to the setup page where I am presented with a setup form for the database. I have selected MS SQL and I provide login credentials using the sa login and a name for the database to create. I get an error saying that the instance of the database cannot be reached. It suggest that the database may need to be configured to accept remote connections or that instance name isn't correct.

On the 2003 server I have opened SQL management studio and checked the server name "machineName/SQLEXPRESS". I used that and supplied the sa account credentials in the setup form. It doesn't work.

The default instance name in the setup form is "localhost". That doesn't work either.

SQLExpress doesn't have a surface area configuration tool, only a Configuration manager where you can enable TCP/IP or Named Pipes etc. which I have done. Still doesn't work.

I'm assuming that the setup is designed to be run remotely from a web browser which is what I'm doing i.e. connecting from the host machine to the VM. This connection is still via the internet even though they are both on the same box they are for all practical purposes separate distinct machines.

The web server has 4 or 5 web sites on it and the webmail is under wwwroot and not under a specific web site. I have created a virtual folder under my test site that points to the webmail folder. I'm wondering if it is a path or format issue.

Can anyone suggest anything I may be missing here.

Thanks you.
Back to Top View ronc's Profile Search for other posts by ronc

ronc

Posted: 18 June 2010 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote ronc

Ok, let me try this again. My first attempt may have been a bit confusing and to some extent irrelevent.

I'm trying to get AfterLogic Webmail Lite set up and running. Following the instructions I have placed the "webmail" folder in the wwwroot folder on the web server

I have configured a virtual directory pointing to the webmail folder and I have configured the folder to run as an application named webmail and to run as .netframework v. 2

I can pull up the default page and the install.htm page from the proper path
http://www.net2rd.com/webmail/adminpanel/install.htm

Then I get to the database setup page. Here I'm using mostly default values except for login and password. Actually I'm thinking the login name is a default value also. That's OK, the sa login should have permissions anyway. I have used the recomended or example name for the database "webmail". I have left the Host as the default "localhost"

When I run the database setup page I get an error.

network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

This has me stumped. I have checked that the SQLExpress db is accessible remotely by running the SQL command "sqlcmd -e -s webserver\sqlexpress" from the command prompt from another machine.

it returns "1" so it connects. Note: when I check this I am running the command from another machine on the same local network. But in any event the instance name and remote accessibility don't seem to be the real issue.

I have tried using a different host name value i.e. "machineName/SQLEXPRESS" instead of "localhost".

I have even tried using the IP address of the machine. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/SQLEXPRESS

I have been unable to get anything to connect.

I'm wondering if it's something in the folder structure, you know, path related. I have other ASP applications running on this same site that are using SQL express and they don't have a problem finding the db engine.
Back to Top View ronc's Profile Search for other posts by ronc

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 24 June 2010 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Igor

We've googled an interesting blog page which seems to be relevant and may be of great help:

SQL SERVER – FIX : ERROR : (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: ...

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

shep444

Posted: 26 June 2010 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote shep444

Hey, this happened to me and I found an unusual fix for it- under "host" in
specify database settings where you have "localhost", I put in the name of my
computer/database , eg- MAILSERVER/SQLEXPRESS
It immediately connected and has been functioning ever since... bug?
Back to Top View shep444's Profile Search for other posts by shep444

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version