Search The ForumSearch   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

MailBee.NET IMAP

AfterLogic Forum : MailBee.NET IMAP
Subject Topic: Email subject has Chinese chars show as ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
smugb

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:33am | IP Logged Quote smugb

Hello, we have been using your MailBee.ImapMail component for 2 years or so (using version 5.8.2.180) and it's been great.

We now need to enable it to read some emails sent with Chinese characters (not all the emails have them, just a few emails do), but only the body of such emails is correctly showing the Chinese characters; the subject has a ? mark char showing for each Chinese character, for example, if the subject contains "科進收取郵" it's shown/recorded as ??????

I have searched your forum for how to solve this to get the subject text correctly 'decoded', but your examples often talk about sending emails with different codepages. We only use the IMAP component to read/process incoming emails. One forum entry (from 2005) mentioned POP3.CodepageMode but I can't find that in the documentation.

Please could you provide me with a code example of how I can get the email subject correctly in Chinese characters ? [Out of interest, the emails are processed and then inserted as records in a SQL database - the table columns are of type nvarchar].

Many thanks in advance,
Iain.
Back to Top View smugb's Profile Search for other posts by smugb

smugb

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:35am | IP Logged Quote smugb

smugb wrote:
Hello, we have been using your MailBee.ImapMail component for 2 years or so (using version 5.8.2.180) and it's been great.

We now need to enable it to read some emails sent with Chinese characters (not all the emails have them, just a few emails do), but only the body of such emails is correctly showing the Chinese characters; the subject has a ? mark char showing for each Chinese character, for example, if the subject contains "科進收取郵" it's shown/recorded as ??????

I have searched your forum for how to solve this to get the subject text correctly 'decoded', but your examples often talk about sending emails with different codepages. We only use the IMAP component to read/process incoming emails. One forum entry (from 2005) mentioned POP3.CodepageMode but I can't find that in the documentation.

Please could you provide me with a code example of how I can get the email subject correctly in Chinese characters ? [Out of interest, the emails are processed and then inserted as records in a SQL database - the table columns are of type nvarchar].

Many thanks in advance,
Iain.

Sorry, just realised this has posted in the POP3 forum when it should be in the IMAP one. Coud you move it across please ? Thanks.

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:39am | IP Logged Quote Igor

That wouldn't be a problem, but there are couple more things to clear first:

1) This section is about MailBee Objects (ActiveX) but I understand you use Mailbee.NET IMAP, is that correct?

2) Did you try the latest DLL build, does it display the same behavior?

3) You mentioned displaying the subject, but how exactly is it displayed - in WinForms component, or in a web page?

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

smugb

Posted: 14 May 2012 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote smugb

Hi Igor,

1) Yes, we are using the Mailbee.NET IMAP component

2) I haven't tried the latest DLL build, as I believe that would entail upgrading to version 7 which would incur costs, I think ? I'm hoping we can resolve our issue just by setting some properties on our existing version (5.8.2.180)

3) The email subject is being displayed as ???????? in a web page, but even if I debug through the code using Visual Studio, when I set a break point and examine the Message.Subject it is showing as ?????? in place of the actual Chinese characters.

I hope that answers your questions.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks, Iain.

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 1:51am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
1) Yes, we are using the Mailbee.NET IMAP component

OK, I have moved the thread accordingly.

Quote:
2) I haven't tried the latest DLL build, as I believe that would entail upgrading to version 7 which would incur costs, I think ? I'm hoping we can resolve our issue just by setting some properties on our existing version (5.8.2.180)

We guarantee support and upgrades during 1 year since license purchase, so yes, you would need to renew maintenance. However, you can try the latest version as trial download, just to check if the issue still persists.

Quote:
3) The email subject is being displayed as ???????? in a web page, but even if I debug through the code using Visual Studio, when I set a break point and examine the Message.Subject it is showing as ?????? in place of the actual Chinese characters.

I'd suggest to check the message source as there's a chance it actually contains
characters not encoded correctly. Also, documentation page on Charset property contains some helpful guidelines.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

smugb

Posted: 15 May 2012 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote smugb

Hi, many thanks for the suggestions. I have now downloaded the latest version as a trial and am using it. I initially thought it was still not working (that is, not returning the Chinese characters), because the email subject outputted to the console from my .NET app was still showing as ?????????

However, when I stepped through my code in Visual Studio and looked at the value of message.subject, the tooltip was no longer showing as ??????? but more like 00000000 and when I used the HTML Visualiser to see the value, it displayed the Chinese characters correctly.

One thing that is still puzzling me though, is that the message.Charset property for my test email (that is now working) is showing as "iso-202-jp" (is this for Japanese??), but a previous test email that I forwarded from a server in Hong Kong (as it has Chinese characters in it), is still NOT working - that is, the subject for the email is still showing as ??????? when I step through the code. It has the charset "iso-8859-1".

So please do you have any suggestions as to why the two emails would have different charsets and if I could force your IMAP component to detect Chinese characters correctly when messages with either charset are received?

Thanks in advance, Iain.

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Looks like we can't assist on this further in terms of community forum, as this would require involving the developers, they will need to examine the message in question, you can submit it through our HelpDesk. But first, be sure to check your maintenance status, and renew it if it's not valid.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

smugb

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote smugb

OK, fine. I think we will probably upgrade to the latest version. My company is soon upgrading to Exchange 2010 and I wondered if we might need the latest MailBee version for that in any case. Do you know if that is true, or in other words, does our current vesion 5.8.2.180 work well with Exchange 2010 ?

Thanks in advance, Iain.

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Exchange 2010 supports GSSAPI authentication only, support of this authentication method was added in version 6.5, so it won't be possible to use any version prior to 6.5 with Exchange 2010.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version