Subject Topic: Sync calendar and phone Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
huynh.chau119

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 January 2015 at 2:23am | IP Logged Quote huynh.chau119

Hello Igor,

In August I got an e-mail from afterlogic regarding the new version 6.5:

Use native apps of your iPhone or iPad to work with the same data you see in the browser! With IMAP for mail, CalDAV for calendar, and newly added CardDAV for contacts and groups, WebMail Pro lets you keep everything synced all the time. Any device or application which supports CalDAV, CardDAV or IMAP protocols can be used, including iPhone and iPad.

Today I upgraded to WebMailPro Version 6.5.2 and read the following in the changelog.txt:

WebMail is now compatible with PHP 5.2 (calendar and mobile sync will not be available).

I was very surprised about this. Now I have two questions:

1.) Mobile sync is not available, what does that mean? Does that mean that the Afterlogic e-mail from August is invalid now and I can forget CalDAV, CardDAV and IMAP - applications ? I hoped I could test these apps for my smartphone?

2.) What happened to the calendar function ? Is my calendar data destroyed because of this update ? Was there a warning I lost sight of?
Back to Top View huynh.chau119's Profile Search for other posts by huynh.chau119 Visit huynh.chau119's Homepage

phansang877

Posted: 16 January 2015 at 2:31am | IP Logged Quote phansang877

The warning you are referring to only applies if you run PHP 5.2.* version. In that case, WebMail Pro itself will still work - but not the parts which require the DAV server, they're strongly PHP 5.3 compatible. And if you run 5.3, nothing to worry about - except maybe for calendars data, those are not migrated from previous versions as stated in upgrading instructions.
upgrading instructions
Back to Top View phansang877's Profile Search for other posts by phansang877 Visit phansang877's Homepage

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 January 2015 at 2:31am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Are you actually saying that you have PHP 5.2 installed on your server? In system requirements of WebMail Pro (which is version 7.4.2 at the moment), it's stated that PHP 5.3 is the minimal requirement. In versions 6.5-6.6, it was possible to use webmail and contacts but not the calendar under PHP 5.2. Current version, however, requires PHP 5.3 or above entirely. So if your server meets that requirement, I don't see why there would be any problems. But if you choose to switch to version 7, it's strongly advised to set up a blank install rather than upgrade existing one.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 January 2015 at 2:33am | IP Logged Quote Igor

phansang877, great and precise answer, thank you!

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

huynh.chau119

Posted: 16 January 2015 at 2:34am | IP Logged Quote huynh.chau119

Thats all new for me. Were can I get more information about this DAV-Server stuff which comes with webmailpro 6.5 ? Sorry I`m overflowed ...

summary of my not recommended upgrade to 6.5.2

- E-Mail still works.

- I lost my old calendar with all data. It seems that there are new possibilities to have a calendar with webmailpro. Can you explain this to me, please ?

- It seems that it is possible to use webmailpro with smartphones. I assume that I need an App ? Can you give me advice, please ?
Back to Top View huynh.chau119's Profile Search for other posts by huynh.chau119 Visit huynh.chau119's Homepage

huynh.chau119

Posted: 16 January 2015 at 2:37am | IP Logged Quote huynh.chau119

Igor,
thank you for your answers, perfect service as usual! Seems that I have to think about updating my Apache and PHP (I`m very afraid of :-).

Last questions:
Do I need a special program/app to use the calendar on a pc? Is there an example?

If I update all things to latest versions will I be able to read my E-Mails with an Android smartphone ?

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 January 2015 at 2:38am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Sorry, we can no longer offer any support for v6.*, it's a very outdated one. We recommend to install version 7 of the product, you can download it here. It offers much more features compared to v6, one of those is mobile-responsive interface - if you open WebMail from iOS or Android web browser you'll get a special mobile version of the interface.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

huynh.chau119

Posted: 16 January 2015 at 2:40am | IP Logged Quote huynh.chau119

great. thanks Igor

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 January 2015 at 2:41am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
Do I need a special program/app to use the calendar on a pc? Is there an example?

You can use WebMail Pro for that But if you're speaking of a desktop client, I would advise using eM Client which can be synchronized with WebMail Pro over DAV which supports syncing contacts and calendars. You won't have to worry about installing DAV as it's built into WebMail Pro, but making it work might require some web server configuration.

Quote:
If I update all things to latest versions will I be able to read my E-Mails with an Android smartphone ?

Yes, absolutely!

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

phansang877

Posted: 16 January 2015 at 2:42am | IP Logged Quote phansang877

Quote:

Well, DAV server sync is only about contacts and calendars. For email access, you'll need to either use WebMail on your Android device, or configure some other email client for IMAP access to your email account.

Quote:

I believe Mozilla Thunderbird has built-in support for contacts sync, and if you install Lightning addon for it you'll have calendar as well as calendar sync there.
Of course, you'll be able to access calendar via native WebMail interface as well.
Back to Top View phansang877's Profile Search for other posts by phansang877 Visit phansang877's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version