AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: Speeding Up Webmail Pro Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RuggieroAV

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 August 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote RuggieroAV

Hi all,

Using the latest version of Webmail Pro 6 PHP version and like it a lot; has a few quirks, but so does any software. :) Anyway, can someone break down for me what is happening between the time a user logs into webmail and the mailbox is actually displayed? I note that the logging IN to the server [IMAP, in my case], and subsequent log off is very fast, but then what happens during the 5-6 second "webmail is loading...." phase? Can I speed that up somehow? My database is SQL and is stored on a different server than the mail interface; would it be faster if I created an SQL database on the same machine as I am running WebMail?

I know that enabling logging will allow me to see what is going on during the process, but as it creates a slowdown in itself, it won't help here.

On another topic, does the .NET version support MySQL also?

Thanks,
Joe
Back to Top View RuggieroAV's Profile Search for other posts by RuggieroAV

RuggieroAV

Posted: 24 August 2011 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote RuggieroAV

Hi Again,

Found some info on .NET version and MySQL in this thread:

http://www.afterlogic.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3839&PN=1

Still interested, however in speeding up the overall process of webmail, especially the initial load.

Thanks!

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote Igor

When you see the message about logging into your account, that means initial login routine is performed. For IMAP accounts, that is mostly about checking list of folders and updating it if necessary.

You have probably noticed that when WebMail Pro interface is displayed, all the messages are shown there already, which means webmail has loaded them. This is exactly what's going on while "webmail is loading" message is shown. Of course, loading dozens of messages takes some time, but actually, only message headers are loaded, so usually that would be quick, especially if webmail and mail server are on the same machine. Basically, the more messages you have selected to be displayed per page, the longer will the loading process take.

As for the database storage, it wouldn't really matter, particularly since IMAP accounts are not synced with the database, messages are retrieved from mail server directly. WebMail Pro utilizes prefetch approach: when Inbox content is displayed, you might think that now it simply waits for you to select a message and it will load it then, but in fact, messages are loaded in background so in most cases they are displayed instantly.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

RuggieroAV

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote RuggieroAV

Thanks Igor,

I figured as much to move the webmail interface to my actual mail server; I suppose that's the only way to gain a speed boost. The only issue I can foresee is that my mail server is running ASP.NET and I don't want to install PHP there; as a Webmail Pro PHP user, can my license be used on the .NET version if the PHP version is completely removed from my current machine?

- Joe

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 25 August 2011 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote Igor

ASP.NET and PHP versions use different license keys and those are not interchangeable. However, if you have purchased a license for WebMail Pro, we can switch its type from PHP to ASP.NET and provide you with a new license key, open a ticket in our HelpDesk to proceed with that.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

RuggieroAV

Posted: 31 August 2011 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote RuggieroAV

Igor,

Thanks for the info - I will consider the license switch if I believe it's going to make that much of a difference. I plan on switching some things around on my PHP server in the next few days, so perhaps things may work better.

Another thing I would like to see in BOTH versions is that the "check" for database connectivity not be "mandatory" - if the connection fails, can webmail still pass the login details to the mail server and fetch messages? This is assuming that the server is not set to actually store messages IN the database. There could be a "warning" message stating that calendar and contacts will not be accessible for this session, but at least users would be able to grab their mail.

- Joe

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 31 August 2011 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Igor

Currently, PHP version allows for running without a database backend. And most probably, the feature will be added to ASP.NET version at some point as well.

For now, configuring the database is a mandatory step of the installation wizard - but technically, using the installation wizard itself is not mandatory at all: just run the first step to check that the environment is OK, and then you can log into AdminPanel with the default mailadm/12345 credentials and configure the product. In next major version, we plan to make the database configuration optional.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

RuggieroAV

Posted: 15 September 2011 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote RuggieroAV

Igor,

Thanks for the latest response; just getting back to checking this forum again, and while testing different database scenarios, I re-across a bug.

-- If you delete a message from the Afterlogic webmail interface, it goes to "deleted items" or "trash" folder. That's good.

-- Next, let's say I delete some messages, after which the account receives NEW MESSAGES - those new e-mails will be at the top of the list of messages with the correct date received.    That's good.

-- Finally, let us assume I realized that I wanted to restore a deleted message by dragging it back to the INBOX. If I do that, the message is moved to the top of my list, but with its original date still intact, so that things appear out of sequence. NOT good.

Is this an issue due to my IMAP server implementation, or is Afterlogic Webmail itself responsible for this behavior?

By the way, you mention the "next major version" - when will that one be released, do you think?

Thanks,
Joe

RuggieroAV

Posted: 15 September 2011 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote RuggieroAV

Hi again...

In my last post, I meant to say I ran across a bug.

Also, regarding the database backend, I LIKE that the database is there for contacts and calendar, etc., so I don't WANT to run Webmail without it...however, if the database is DOWN for whatever reason, the webmail software should still attempt to pass the credentials to the mail server itself, and try to log in.

- Joe

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 September 2011 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote Alex

WebMail uses database not only for contacts/calendar, user settings are there too. This is not a bug.

However, WebMail supports "No database" mode so that the same user settings are used for all the users:

http://www.afterlogic.com/wiki/Use_Webmail_without_a_database_(WebMail_Pro_6_PHP)

Regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 September 2011 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Alex

Quote:

-- Finally, let us assume I realized that I wanted to restore a deleted message by dragging it back to the INBOX. If I do that, the message is moved to the top of my list, but with its original date still intact, so that things appear out of sequence. NOT good.

Personally for me, it's awesome. I hate finding messages I just moved to another folder scattered amongst all other messages. This is especially frustrating when you move good message from spam folder and it does not appear at the top of the list (to this moment, I've already forgotten what was the subject of this email and I have to dig through hundreds of messages to find that one).

But if need opposite behavior for some reason, open data/settings/settings.xml and set WebMail/UseSortImapForDateMode to On.

Quote:
By the way, you mention the "next major version" - when will that one be released, do you think?

"When it's done". Maybe, several weeks.

Regards,
Alex

RuggieroAV

Posted: 18 September 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote RuggieroAV

Thank you Alex,

The "bug" I was referring to was the e-mail sorting issue, and as you pointed out, it's not a bug, but a "feature" which can be modified. I do appreciate the opposite behavior [SortImapForDateMode to be on].

Didn't mean to push on the new version; just curious is all...

- Joe

RuggieroAV

Posted: 19 September 2011 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote RuggieroAV

Alex and all,

The "SortImapForDateMode" option does not seem to be working on my account, nor those of my customers, based on their feedback.

Does it only affect new users? That is, if I deleted my username in the database and re-logged in, thereby creating a new entry, would it work properly then?

- Joe

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 19 September 2011 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote Alex

This is global setting with immediate feedback. Please post your inquiry at HelpDesk specifying your data/settings/settings.xml file and WebMail Pro PHP version.

regards,
Alex

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version