AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: Block WebMail Lite-only storage? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
junk

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 February 2010 at 3:19am | IP Logged Quote junk

Hi,

I'm running a mail server with WebMail Lite ASP.NET as web mail (it's working great!). One question though:

Would it be possible to block "local only" storage? I would like WebMail Lite to ONLY do caching of IMAP folders, not save anything for any user outside the mail server. As it is now, all new users have their "Sent items" stored only in the WebMail Lite database. It's confusing for them and it's troublesome for me (I need to backup WebMail Lite aswell, for example). I know this is customizable, but I have to guide each user to set it up.

It would be great with an option to "block local storage" or "only cache-store e-mails" which is set on the application level (administration interface or web.config). When a user sends an e-mail for the first time they could be asked in which IMAP folder they would like to store the sent e-mail and if they want to map any other IMAP folders to system folders.

A suggestion that would perhaps make your web mail even better? =)
Back to Top View junk's Profile Search for other posts by junk

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 02 February 2010 at 4:52am | IP Logged Quote Igor

If you set both "Allow direct mode" and "Direct mode is default" options in AdminPanel, no mails will be stored on WebMail Lite side, mail messages will be fetched from mail server directly.

But you must understand that this would only work for IMAP accounts. In POP3 accounts, the only folder available on server is Inbox, while the rest exist within WebMail Lite database.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

junk

Posted: 03 February 2010 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote junk

I provide both POP3 and IMAP to my users, and the webmail is set to only communicate with the mail server through IMAP.

Will "Direct mode" cache e-mails in the WebMail Lite database? The caching is really great, huge performance improvement from my previous web mail system.

If I set to "Direct mode", will users be asked if and where they would like to store sent e-mails, drafts and trash?

Thanks!

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 03 February 2010 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Direct Mode does not store mails in the database, folders are stored though. To bring this into compliance with folder structure on account, user may need to press "Reload Folders Tree" button in account settings.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

junk

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 5:19am | IP Logged Quote junk

And in "Direct mode", where will sent e-mails be stored?

Thank you for your answers!

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 08 February 2010 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote Igor

They will be stored on mail server only, and fetched from there directly once user needs to read a message. Aside from caching messages in temporary location, WebMail will not store messages on its end.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

Triple C

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 9:56am | IP Logged Quote Triple C

Hi,
I am trying the free version of afterlogic webmail.
I configured it to use IMAP and enabled direct mode and setup direct mode by default.
However, even after changing those settings and creating a new user only the user's inbox is set to direct mode and his other folders like sent items are set to "Don't synchronize".
I want the webmail to work 100% like an IMAP client so that users connectiong to their account from outlook using IMAP will see their sent items too.
Is there any way for me to setup Direct mode for all the folders by default for all new users?

Thanks.
Back to Top View Triple C's Profile Search for other posts by Triple C

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 3:09am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
I am trying the free version of afterlogic webmail.

Is that .PHP or .NET edition?

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

Triple C

Posted: 28 May 2010 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote Triple C

.NET version
running on windows 2003

Triple C

Posted: 30 May 2010 at 5:19am | IP Logged Quote Triple C

i have tried installing the php version ,
on centos 5.4 with apache ,
and got the exact same bug there.

when i check both "allow direct mode" and "direct mode is default" , it is default only for the inbox folder , other folders (inc. sent items and spam etc.) still default to "don't synchronize".

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
when i check both "allow direct mode" and "direct mode is default" , it is default only for the inbox folder , other folders (inc. sent items and spam etc.) still default to "don't synchronize".

This means there are no such folders on your IMAP account. When WebMail Pro creates an account, it performs a search within IMAP account structure looking for folders with known names, and if folders are not found, they are created in WebMail Pro database only, that's why the sync.mode is "Don't synchronize".

In this scenario, WebMail Pro does not create folders automatically. This is not a bug, we chose to not interfere with original IMAP structure unless user does this in Manage Folder screen. If you need this to be performed automatically when account is created, this can be done with a small modification of the source code. Open \App_Code\User.cs file (line ~338). The original code is:

Code:
fld = fc[FolderType.SentItems];
if (fld == null)
{
  if (!settings.StoreMailsInDb) fs.CreateFolder(Constants.FolderNames.SentItems);
  dbMan.CreateFolder(newAccount.ID, -1, FolderType.SentItems, Constants.FolderNames.SentItems, Constants.FolderNames.SentItems, FolderSyncType.AllHeadersOnly, false, 1);
}

It should be replaced with:

Code:
fld = fc[FolderType.SentItems];
if (fld == null)
{
  ImapStorage imapStorage2 = new ImapStorage(newAccount);
  imapStorage2.Connect();
  imapStorage2.CreateFolder(new Folder(newAccount.ID, -1, Constants.FolderNames.SentItems, Constants.FolderNames.SentItems));
  imapStorage2.Disconnect();
  if (!settings.StoreMailsInDb) fs.CreateFolder(Constants.FolderNames.SentItems);
  dbMan.CreateFolder(newAccount.ID, -1, FolderType.SentItems, Constants.FolderNames.SentItems, Constants.FolderNames.SentItems, FolderSyncType.AllHeadersOnly, false, 1);
}

Although scripts found under App_Code are usually recompiled by IIS automatically, we recommend to force recompilation by running compile.bat found in main WebMail Pro folder.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

Triple C

Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote Triple C

i changed it for spam, trash, and sent items ,
and now they are all created in direct mode.

thanks..

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version