Search The ForumSearch   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

AfterLogic WebMail Pro

AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: Getting the "can’t connect to POP3" error Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brendon

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 July 2009 at 3:25pm | IP Logged Quote Brendon

This seems like it's a pretty common error. I have no problem accessing my SMTP/POP3 server via Outlook (or Telnet for that matter). Even after disabling the firewall and anti-virus, I still get the error. Everything worked fine for about a day or two, and then suddenly stopped.

Here's what I believe the relevant portions of the log file are:

Code:
[16:00:10.09] [INFO] Assembly version: 5.5.2.143.
[16:00:10.09] [INFO] Will resolve host "imap.timemachinesauto.com".
[16:00:10.09] [INFO] Host "imap.timemachinesauto.com" resolved to IP address(es) 172.29.1.86.
[16:00:10.09] [INFO] Will connect to host "imap.timemachinesauto.com" on port 143.
[16:00:10.10] [INFO] Socket connected to IP address 172.29.1.86 on port 143.
[16:00:10.10] [INFO] Error: The particular item of the response data cannot be parsed. The response string: *.
[16:00:10.10] [INFO] Will disconnect from host "imap.timemachinesauto.com".
[16:00:10.12] [INFO] Disconnected from host "imap.timemachinesauto.com".

This bit is interesting, because I have the server set to use POP3, NOT IMAP. Previously, I saw similar errors in the log file (only with POP3 in place of IMAP).

Note also that I'm unable to view the logs via the admin panel. The popup log viewer comes up blank every time.
Back to Top View Brendon's Profile Search for other posts by Brendon

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Online Status: Online
Posted: 29 July 2009 at 1:57am | IP Logged Quote Igor

According to the log file, WebMail Pro attempts to access mail server via port 143 which corresponds to IMAP access, not POP3 one. This could happen if you created your WebMail account as IMAP and then attempted to change its type to POP3 (or vice versa), but that is not possible without removing and recreating WebMail account.

Be sure to check that the specified hostname and port correspond to server info you have in your POP3 client, port 110 should be used for POP3 access.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version