AfterLogic WebMail Pro

AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: new mail message! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elte

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 December 2008 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Elte

hello. i love the webmail lite i just downloaded. It is much better than squirrel mail.

Now I plan on integrating webmail lite with my CMS. So when users login to my website, it will automatically login to their email accounts. All they would have to do is click the "read email" button and it would take them straight to their inbox.

Now I thought about implementing the "YOU HAVE MAIL" message. That way, people are notified if there is actually new mail in their inbox. How would I do this? Any ideas?

I was thinking to get a count of the unread messages in their inbox. if it is 1 or more, then display message. but i do not know how to count the unread messages yet. can anyone enlighten me?
Back to Top View Elte's Profile Search for other posts by Elte

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 December 2008 at 4:03am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

Quote:
Now I plan on integrating webmail lite with my CMS. So when users login to my website, it will automatically login to their email accounts. All they would have to do is click the "read email" button and it would take them straight to their inbox.

This can be easily achieved due to integration API for ASP.NET version and for PHP version.

Quote:
Now I thought about implementing the "YOU HAVE MAIL" message. That way, people are notified if there is actually new mail in their inbox. How would I do this? Any ideas?

This cannot be implemented in WebMail Lite as it doesn't use a database backend. POP3 protocol doesn't allow distinguishing between new/unread and old/read messages, the only things it allows are downloading and deleting messages.

However, WebMail Pro uses a database backend and stores message statuses for POP3 protocol in the database. Also, WebMail is an e-mail client and it cannot perform any actions until user initiate it.

Notifying users about new mail is a background task which should check for new mails independently on what user is doing. So, to achieve what you need, you'd need to purchase WebMail Pro and develop some kind of Windows service (or scheduled task) which will periodically poll users mailboxes and download new messages to WebMail Pro database, then your application would be able to lookup for new messages there and notify users. We can implement this for you in terms of a custom project. Please contact us through Development Services request form if you're interested in this.

Best regards,
Andrew
Back to Top View Andrew's Profile Search for other posts by Andrew

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version