AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: Storing emails in database Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
zi3mni4k

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 July 2008 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote zi3mni4k

Hi there!

I'm spending a lot of time to configure MailBee WebMail Pro. I want to store users emails in database, and delete them on server (imap) after downloaded to db. Is there any setting i've missed? I just can't find it anywhere.
Back to Top View zi3mni4k's Profile Search for other posts by zi3mni4k

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 29 July 2008 at 7:09am | IP Logged Quote Igor

By default, downloaded messages are stored on filesystem as .eml files. It's possible to configure WebMail for saving messages to database. Do you have any reason to use database storage instead of filesystem?

IMAP4 implementation in WebMail Pro is the same as in Outlook Express, email account is always synchronized with mailserver, so if you delete message on server it will be deleted in WebMail Pro too.
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

zi3mni4k

Posted: 30 July 2008 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote zi3mni4k

All of our data is in database, and thanks to this, our web system is working quite fast. Our server does not have big hard drives, so keeping mails in DB and on FS gives us double information and double space is required. Our web system is reading emails from db not onlny when MailBee is on, but many difrent modules uses email data from db, and there is no need to keep emails on FS in .eml format. That is why I am asking You for help with setup.

Is this possible to configure MailBee Webmail Pro in this way?

Thank for any help,
best regards,
Maciej

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 30 July 2008 at 3:51am | IP Logged Quote Igor

For this to work, it's enough to change StoreMailsInDb setting in DATA/Settings/settings.xml file. Set it to 1 to store messages in database.

This works for both PHP and .NET editions.

Please note that you will have to delete all WebMail Pro accounts with all their message content before changing the setting. Otherwise, there would be situations when a part of messages is stored in DB and another part on filesystem. This 2nd part would become inaccessible for WebMail Pro.

zi3mni4k

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote zi3mni4k

Thank You for help.

This setting is set from the begining, so it works. But while click on "check for email" buton, emails are downloaded to database, but they still are on email server filesystem. When I delete email in WebMail it is also deleted on mailbox, and in WM is shown with striked font.

My question is:
Is there any way to download emails from mailbox to WM, and delete them from mailbox?

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote Igor

IMAP protocol implementation in WebMail Pro keeps messages in email client synchronized with mailbox on mail server (Outlook has the same behavior). So there's no way to delete messages from mail server and keep in WebMail Pro. This can be done only using POP3 access.

If you use IMAP account and delete some messages from mail server, they are marked strikethrough and you can remove them completely with Purge tool which can be accessed by clicking arrow button next to Delete.

Regards,
Igor

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version