Subject Topic: Permissions & Ownership Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Wysard

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 October 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Wysard

Hi:

For Lite:

I'm easily confused with the "find" command so could you tell me the files and required permissions (755 etc) for the web folders and the data folders?

I have the data folders outside web access and need to know how to set those permissions too.

For ownership on web I have owner:owner for the web files and owner:nobody (how Apache runs). Is this for all files & directories?

Sorry, but find did not let me change ownership using the find command as stated (I did try from root).

Thanks for the help, If I like it may upgrade to Pro.
Back to Top View Wysard's Profile Search for other posts by Wysard

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 October 2007 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

Quote:
find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

Means you should assign 755 permission to all subfolders (and the current folder) and 644 to all files.

7 - read, write, execute (navigate for folders) for owner user
5 - read, execute (navigate for folders) for owner group
5 - read, execute (navigate for folders) for others

6 - read, write for owner user
4 - read for owner group
4 - read for others

If Apache process isn't owner of files and folders you should assign the following permissions:

777 (read, write, execute/navigate for everyone) for all subfolders
666 (read, write for everyone) for all files

Quote:
I'm easily confused with the "find" command so could you tell me the files and required permissions (755 etc) for the web folders and the data folders?

I have the data folders outside web access and need to know how to set those permissions too.

Apache process must be able to navigate/read/write the data folder, so the permission is 755 for all folders and subfolders and the data folder itself, and 644 for all files contained in the data folder. It's assumed Apache user is owner of all folders, subfolders, files contained in the data folder and the data folder itself.

Quote:
For ownership on web I have owner:owner for the web files and owner:nobody (how Apache runs). Is this for all files & directories?

With regard to the web folder, Apache process must be able to navigate and read all the folders, subfolders, and files contained in the web folder. I.e. permissions are: 555 for folders/subfolders, 444 for files.

Also, "find" might not work if it's just not installed. Perhaps, you should check your Linux distributive and install "find" utility.

Best regards,
Andrew
Back to Top View Andrew's Profile Search for other posts by Andrew

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version