AfterLogic WebMail Pro

AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: Trouble After Install Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sinasylum

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 27 September 2006 at 4:30pm | IP Logged Quote sinasylum

I installed the program on my hosting account and am not sure of the best way to do the settings_path.php file. Some people say using /home/user/public_html/installation-path and others say ../data/. some say to use double quotes and others say single quote marks. So if anyone can help me, here I go.

I am using the php version on a linux machine with apache, all the extensions are in place for the program. I have cpanel and whm as my core management software, I an access with ftp, but have limited use and knowledge of how to do much. However I can use the ftp program to change permissions, upload, etc. Just don't know a lot of complicated moves with it, if there are any.

I've uploaded the web and data folders two times in an attempt to get it all working right. I can access the main login form fine, but when I give it my login info for email accounts I have it loads an error message on screen over a red background.

When I access the mailadm.php page there are errors on the page, but I can log into the admin control panel. I can click on links in the admin area and get into pages for settings, etc. but when I submit to save any changes made on those screens I get a php crashed page full of errors over a white background.

All of my folders have 755 permissions and file have 644, as Ive been told is how to do it. But I still cannot get it to work and to avoid all of the errors I mentioned above.

Any help would be a huge help and also does anyone know if there is something to upgrade the php version of the webmail program to? If this basic version(free) works well I may want to upgrade. I tried to pro demo and it rocks, but it was also for asp. I need a pro php version if there is such a product out there.

Thanks for any support to anyone who posts to this to help me. :o)

Cheers!

- hopeful
Back to Top View sinasylum's Profile Search for other posts by sinasylum

sinasylum

Posted: 27 September 2006 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote sinasylum

p.s. this community seems like a really nice group of people. I am glad to be a part of it now. okay, go ahead and help me now :o)
Back to Top View sinasylum's Profile Search for other posts by sinasylum

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 28 September 2006 at 4:19am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

Quote:
I installed the program on my hosting account and am not sure of the best way to do the settings_path.php file. Some people say using /home/user/public_html/installation-path and others say ../data/. some say to use double quotes and others say single quote marks. So if anyone can help me, here I go.

If /web and /data subfolders are in one parent folder, you can use '../data/' relative path. We recommend not to place /data folder into folder accessible from web because it's security lack. We recommend placing /data subfolder into any folder (inaccessible from web) on your server and use absolute path to this folder (like /home/user/webmail_data or /var/webmail_data). Also, we recommend using single quotes instead of double because backslashes and some other chars could cause a problem if enclosed in double quotes.

Quote:
I am using the php version on a linux machine with apache, all the extensions are in place for the program. I have cpanel and whm as my core management software, I an access with ftp, but have limited use and knowledge of how to do much. However I can use the ftp program to change permissions, upload, etc. Just don't know a lot of complicated moves with it, if there are any.

If your PHP engine has all the necessary extensions, you just need to upload WebMail PHP files to the server and assign the appropriate permissions and/or owners as it described in documentation. Assigning permissions can be done via FTP or CPanel.

Quote:
I've uploaded the web and data folders two times in an attempt to get it all working right. I can access the main login form fine, but when I give it my login info for email accounts I have it loads an error message on screen over a red background.

This is because your WebMail PHP installation is not configured properly. You should configure it via mailadm firstly, as it described in documentation (at least you should specify your mail server, or use advanced login with specifying mail server).

Quote:
When I access the mailadm.php page there are errors on the page, but I can log into the admin control panel. I can click on links in the admin area and get into pages for settings, etc. but when I submit to save any changes made on those screens I get a php crashed page full of errors over a white background.

This is because there is no permission to write into the WebMail /data folder. You should grant write permission to Apache user as it described in documentation.

Quote:
All of my folders have 755 permissions and file have 644, as Ive been told is how to do it. But I still cannot get it to work and to avoid all of the errors I mentioned above.

It is enough such permissions for the /web folder, but not enough for /data folder if Apache is not owner of /data folder. In case if Apache is not owner of /data folder, you should change the permissions to 777 for /data folder and all its subfolders and 666 for all files in /data folder and all subfolders.

Quote:
Any help would be a huge help and also does anyone know if there is something to upgrade the php version of the webmail program to? If this basic version(free) works well I may want to upgrade. I tried to pro demo and it rocks, but it was also for asp. I need a pro php version if there is such a product out there.

WebMail Pro PHP is in development now and will be released in a few months.

Best regards,
Andrew
Back to Top View Andrew's Profile Search for other posts by Andrew

insanemustang

Posted: 06 May 2007 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote insanemustang

I was wondering how I could find out the relative path to my data folder?

I have cuteftp 6.0 pro and I am using 1and1.com to host my website in case of that info helps.

Thanks in advance I think I'm going to love this!!!
Back to Top View insanemustang's Profile Search for other posts by insanemustang

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 3:29am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

If you uploaded both the web and the data folders into the same folder on your web server, the relative path to the data folder is '../WebMailData/', assuming that WebMailData is the name of the data folder.

Also, this topic of MailBee FAQ may be helpful for you.

Best regards,
Andrew

insanemustang

Posted: 07 May 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote insanemustang

Thanks for your help Andrew, unfortunately that did not solve my problem. I've tried everything. I put in /.. numerous times, just trying to get luck with the path.

In my ftp client, the data folder displays as /bn/Webmail/data/

but I'm not sure what is supposed to go before /bn/

Anyways, thanks for your help. I looked over that FAQ, but nothing seemed to work.
Back to Top View insanemustang's Profile Search for other posts by insanemustang

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 08 May 2007 at 2:44am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

To let us investigate the issue, could you please provide us with URL pointing to your WebMail Lite PHP installation and FTP access with write permission to this installation? Please use Support Form for this purpose.

Best regards,
Andrew

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version