AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: How is e-mail receipt signalized ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
recently

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 July 2011 at 7:15am | IP Logged Quote recently

Hello dear Webmailers,

I`m just testing Webmail Pro and have some questions...

I created a user with a lot of e-mail accounts (10 totally). How can I see globally that there is receipt in one account ? Currently I have to switch manually from account to account and have to check, if there are new e-mails or not. Unfortunately if I select an account, this account moves at the top of the pull-down-list, the sort order is destroyed. This makes a systematic check of all e-mail accounts very hard and unconvenient.
Is there a possiblty to see e-mail receipt globally, i.e. account in bold letters or something else ?
Thank you for advice ...

friendly regards
recently
Back to Top View recently's Profile Search for other posts by recently

recently

Posted: 31 July 2011 at 1:34am | IP Logged Quote recently

... no comment ? ... so I`m assuming I`m right!

Today I called my Afterlogic Webmail 30 day trial and during start phase I saw that there was e-mail receipt on some accounts. But there was no receipt on the main account from where I was logged in, so I was looking for a hint in which account I can find my new e-mails ... but there is no hint! You have to step manually through all your accounts to get the answer, that is not acceptable. I want to read my e-mails I don`t need a riddle (the scrambling sort order from the pull down menu makes the riddle nearly unsolvable ) ... To see if there is receipt or not is an elementary base function, I can not believe that this is missing in afterlogic webmail pro ? Please correct me, If I make a mistake ? I`m still assuming that ...   

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 01 August 2011 at 1:36am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
... no comment ? ... so I`m assuming I`m right!

Maybe, it just was a week-end?

Quote:
You have to step manually through all your accounts to get the answer

I confirm this is exactly how it works. You need to select a particular account to access it with WebMail Pro. Assuming we speak of IMAP, WebMail Pro doesn't sync accounts with the database, and it only works with current account.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

recently

Posted: 01 August 2011 at 4:56am | IP Logged Quote recently

Hi Igor,
excuse my unpatience, I`m looking since a long time for a usable webbased email program and WebmailPro seemed to be the goal ... but my wish list is big [:-)]

"You need to select a particular account to access it with WebMail Pro"

Ok, is a fact ... but I can`t imagine the reason for this. I`m sure that the server knows about unread e-mails in all accounts directly after login. It would be very helpful if this information would be available, i.e. in the account-pulldown menu as bold letters or an asterix before the account names or whatever.

It can be, that there is only one new e-mail in one account. After login, WebmailPro gives me no information about this and I have have to step through all my accounts. Can you give me advice how I can check my 10 e-mail accounts systematicly without missing one, please ? Can you explain an algorithm to me how to do this? I`m 52 years old and I can't store in my brain which of my 10 e-mail accounts I already read. WebmailPro makes is as hard as possible, because the accountlist is scrambled each time I select the next account. If I want to be sure that I checked all email-accounts I have to create a handwritten list with all account-names and after checking an account I have to make a check mark.
Or I`m to stupid and there is an easy way to step through the accounts in a given order ? Possibly you can arrange 10 accounts on your system and then try to step through the accounts in a systematic order, you will see how difficult it becomes !Thank you for advice !

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 01 August 2011 at 5:23am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
I`m sure that the server knows about unread e-mails in all accounts directly after login.

In general case - no, it doesn't, that's the thing. On login, WebMail Pro indeed checks through all the accounts, but messages-related info is updated for POP3 accounts only, or for those IMAP accounts originated from older WebMail Pro version so that they have different sync.mode. And furthermore, when you click CheckMail, or when automated periodical mailcheck is invoked - only current account is checked.

Quote:
Can you give me advice how I can check my 10 e-mail accounts systematicly without missing one, please ?

No idea on this one, sorry.

And if you might be interested in paid custom development, please feel free to contact our Professional Services team.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

recently

Posted: 01 August 2011 at 6:51am | IP Logged Quote recently

Thank you very much for your information, Igor

- I`m using POP3 only, this is very disappointing for me, the rest of WebmailPro seems to be exactly what I`m looking for.

- Paid custom developent is a good idea ... but what do you think about paid alpha/beta-testing ?

- Still thinking about a WebmailPro licence. Would I get a free update if this issue is implemented (fixed) one day ?

friendly regards
recently

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 02 August 2011 at 2:36am | IP Logged Quote Igor

I just had a conversation with people here, including lead developer of WebMail Pro and user interface developer, and we agree that your requirements make perfect sense. I confirm the following requirements are added to product roadmap:

1. Drop-down menu for accounts list should be redesigned so that items order is not changed upon switching between accounts. As one of the possible approaches here, it could be that current account is displayed where it is now, and it also will be included into dropdown list in its proper position, with a special "current account" mark - underlined, bold, colored etc., see below.

2. Drop-down list should include the number of unread mails for each account. According to UI developer, WebMail performs background caching of the information on folders, and those numbers can be used in drop-down menu. Of course, that's not going to be displayed immediately upon loading the interface itself, and regular CheckMail behavior will probably stay unaffected, but still that's something already.

Currently, it's hard to say when those features are implemented. And of course, licensed users of WebMail Pro are entitled to support and upgrades for at least 1 year since license purchase. Maintenance can be renewed for 50% of the license cost.

Fortunately, there's a quick way to implement point 1 as a small source code modification - not perfect maybe, but should do its job.

Please open js/common/webmail.js file and locate FillAccountsList function there, we're going to modify lines ~1693-1714. Initially, they look like this. You'll need to replace them with this code, save changes and purge browser cache.

Once this is done, current account is displayed in its proper position in the list and it is shown underlined. Hope that helps!

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

recently

Posted: 04 August 2011 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote recently

Hello Igor,
that`s great, thank you very much !

I`m using WebmailPro every day and I like it very much. Now I`m sure that I will buy a liscence after the trial period. I hope that one year update time is enouph time to get all modifications

friendly regards
recently

recently

Posted: 26 January 2012 at 2:19am | IP Logged Quote recently

Hello Igor,

meanwhile I have a "permanent software key". Yesterday I upgraded to version 6.3.8 and was very disappointed that nothing has changed, even the "scrambling" account-list is still untouched.

I hope I can see the changes before my license becomes invalid

friendly regards
recently

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 26 January 2012 at 2:57am | IP Logged Quote Igor

I can confirm both the features are in the roadmap, but as far as we can tell majority of WebMail Pro users work with a single account. Due to that, features related to switching between accounts have lower priority, and at the moment it's unknown when they're added.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

recently

Posted: 28 September 2012 at 2:39am | IP Logged Quote recently

Hello Igor,

today I upgraded to version 6.5.2. Again no changes in this issue ... the "Scrambling E-Mail Account Bug" is still an annoying problem for me!

friendly regards
recently

recently

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 3:25am | IP Logged Quote recently

Hello Igor,

today is the last day of my "support and free update year". I finally installed 6.6.0 ... the "Scrambling E-Mail Account Bug" is still an annoying problem for me!

I assume, that Webmail-Updates are not possible for me up to now. Please inform me if something changed in this issue, perhaps I buy the desired version ...

friendly regards
recently

(disappointed )

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 14 January 2013 at 3:32am | IP Logged Quote Igor

In a few months, we're releasing version 7 of the product and it will be significantly revamped. And even though this particular modification is currently planned for 7.1, there's a chance this will be done in 7.0.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version