AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: check new emails Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
raiden

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 August 2009 at 11:59pm | IP Logged Quote raiden

Hey all,

I know it has been asked before, but I'm in search of a webmailclient, and so far webmail pro trial has amazed me a lot. One thing holds me back, and that is the lack of an automatic check for new mails. It has been implemented in lots of other webmailclients, so I assume it should not be that hard for hardcore developers :)

Is there a way to activate it in the php versions ? I know a little php and know my way on nix, so no problem if it is a little code-adaptation.

Anyway, great work so far !

Raiden
Back to Top View raiden's Profile Search for other posts by raiden

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 04 August 2009 at 1:54am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Automated mailcheck is not supported by WebMail Pro at the moment, and it's not an easy thing to implement, particularly since it can be very annoying. Imagine that you're performing some actions in Inbox, e.g. checking messages to mark them as read. If any reload occurs those checkboxes' status will probably be lost. Thus, in case if such modification is performed, it's necessary to take steps to keep track of any action made by user.

We agree that it's the necessary feature and we're going to add it in one of subsequent releases. But it requires very careful coding due to many pitfalls possible along the way. Every possible issue should be taken into account, especially when the same mailbox is accessed from more than one email client (including WebMail) at a time. And, of course, connection to mail server may be terminated unexpectedly or take significant amount of time to process requests, and it should be handled as well.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

MACscr

Posted: 09 September 2009 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote MACscr

why cant the mail just be checked in the background with simple ajax call? That way next time you go to the inbox, it will show new emails if they are there.
Back to Top View MACscr's Profile Search for other posts by MACscr

MACscr

Posted: 09 September 2009 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote MACscr

Oh yeah, to add to that, there definitely needs to be some type of sound notification option as well.
Back to Top View MACscr's Profile Search for other posts by MACscr

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version