AfterLogic WebMail Pro

AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: Pre Sale Questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MGSteve

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 August 2008 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote MGSteve

Hi, I'm currently using @Mail and desperate to get away from the stinking pile of doodah.

Can you answer the following questions please:

1) Does MailBee run off a pop3 catchall address for its user accounts? i.e. Does it actually create POP3 mailboxes for its user or simply catch mails sent to a particular email address from a catch-all account?

2) When you say 'user account admin', does this actually create POP3 accounts?

3) Which mail servers do you integrate in with?

4) How much do upgrades cost?

5) Do you interfere with the mail server at all - for example, @Mail replaces the mail server and as a result hammers mySQL whenever mail arrives as it has to check its mySQL databases for email account info.

6) Do you provide sub-admin funcitonality, where I could give a particular user control over accounts belonging to certain domain names?

That's about it for now, thanks :)
Back to Top View MGSteve's Profile Search for other posts by MGSteve

MGSteve

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 2:28am | IP Logged Quote MGSteve

hmm, seems to be a lack of an edit button on this forum?

Anyway, forgot to say, its going to be installed on a Linux box...

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 4:06am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
1) Does MailBee run off a pop3 catchall address for its user accounts? i.e. Does it actually create POP3 mailboxes for its user or simply catch mails sent to a particular email address from a catch-all account?
5) Do you interfere with the mail server at all - for example, @Mail replaces the mail server and as a result hammers mySQL whenever mail arrives as it has to check its mySQL databases for email account info.

MailBee WebMail Pro acts in exactly the same way as other email clients do (e.g. Outlook Express): it checks POP3/IMAP account for new messages and synchronizes WebMail Pro user account with mailbox on mailserver. By default, WebMail Pro stores downloaded messages on filesystem, but you can configure it to store them in database.

Quote:
2) When you say 'user account admin', does this actually create POP3 accounts?

You can create POP3 accounts on mailserver only if WebMail Pro is integrated with that mailserver (see below). Otherwise, you are able to create accounts in WebMail Pro and configure them to access existing POP3/IMAP accounts on any mailserver.

Quote:
3) Which mail servers do you integrate in with?

WebMail Pro integration with AfterLogic XMail Server is supported out-of-box, which means you can create mailserver POP3 accounts from WebMail Pro.

Quote:
4) How much do upgrades cost?

We guarantee free updates for all minor releases of the product (i.e. 4.x). There will be a significant discount for purchasing subsequent major versions of WebMail Pro.

Quote:
6) Do you provide sub-admin funcitonality, where I could give a particular user control over accounts belonging to certain domain names?

This feature is not available in WebMail Pro yet.

Quote:
seems to be a lack of an edit button on this forum?

This feature is available for support personnel only.

Quote:
forgot to say, its going to be installed on a Linux box...

This shouldn't be a problem, you can use WebMail Pro (PHP) and compile AfterLogic XMail Server from the source code. In case if you use .rpm-compatible Linux distro, you can use binaries compiled for RedHat-based systems.

Regards,
Igor
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

MGSteve

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 5:43am | IP Logged Quote MGSteve

Hi Igor, thanks for that.

Are there any differences between Emails stored in the file system and emails stored in the databases? Can they both be searched in the same way? with @mail they were stored in the filesystem which meant you couldn't alter the order the emails were displayed because they were always read in the order they were in the filesystem.

I'm presuming searching is quicker if they are in the filesystem though.

As far as the XMail mailserver is concerned, does this use mySQL to look up email accounts etc.. - I presume it does if they are stored in the DB... I just know from experience, that @mail uses perl scripts and mySQL to handle incoming mail and it puts quite a load on the server.

Also, do you have any integration with Anti Spam and Anti Virus systems with XMail Server?

So am I right in thinking that you only support creating & maintaining user mailboxes from the admin system IF you use your XMail Mailserver?

How hard would it be to add the ability to create accounts in the standard setups of QMail / vpopmail etc..?

The reason I ask is that personally I don't want to install your mail server on our server, I'd rather use the standard mail servers. If I can alter the code myself, that's fine, but how easy would it be to do? Its it as simple as defining a new class to handle the adding / removing of accounts or is it more indepth?

I appreciate you don't want to integrate into other mail servers as it removes the point of your own product and kinda makes your own server pointless, but at the same time, don't do an @mail and force something onto your customers in order for them to get the functionality they want... (hint!)

MGSteve

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote MGSteve

Damn the lack of an edit button!!!

>> I'm presuming searching is quicker if they are in the filesystem though. <<
That should be that they're faster if in the Database...

Lastly, when was the current major version released (4.0) and can you tell me what the upgrade price from 3.0 was when 4 was released, just so I can get an idea of the discount.

btw, just read up on XMailServer and noticed its free (good on you, @Mail charged for theirs).

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 6:38am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
Are there any differences between Emails stored in the file system and emails stored in the databases?

No, there's no difference, they are saved as .eml files on filesystem, or stored with the same content in the database. The only thing that matters is the synchronization mode selected for WebMail Pro account.
In "Entire Messages" mode, full message content is saved. In "Headers Only" mode, only header content of message is saved. In "Direct Mode" nothing is saved, messages are accessed directly on mailserver account.

Quote:
Can they both be searched in the same way?
I'm presuming searching is quicker if they are in the filesystem though.

The search performance would be the same, because search is performed not on the messages themselves but on their versions optimized for searching and stored in database, no matter where messages are stored.

Please note that search depends on synchronization mode too. You can perform the search only on headers information in "Headers Only" mode. And in "Direct Mode" search feature is not available at all.

Quote:
As far as the XMail mailserver is concerned, does this use mySQL to look up email accounts etc.. - I presume it does if they are stored in the DB

AfterLogic XMail Server doesn't store accounts information in database, those data reside on filesystem according to the following folder pattern:

MailRoot/domains/domainName/accountName/

Quote:
do you have any integration with Anti Spam and Anti Virus systems with XMail Server?

Such features are not available yet, we're considering implementing them in future versions of the product. However, there are several third-party solutions for original XMail Server our edition is based on. Check the "XMail Tools" section of the original XMail Server webpage:

http://www.xmailserver.org/

Those tools can be integrated with our edition of XMail Server too.

Some of the features may require client-side integration too. For example, the Bayesian antispam filter might need to learn from a user which message is SPAM and which one is not, so WebMail would need "Spam" / "No Spam" button(s).

We are able to develop any features you need in terms of a custom project.

Quote:
So am I right in thinking that you only support creating & maintaining user mailboxes from the admin system IF you use your XMail Mailserver?

Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
How hard would it be to add the ability to create accounts in the standard setups of QMail / vpopmail etc..?

The reason I ask is that personally I don't want to install your mail server on our server, I'd rather use the standard mail servers. If I can alter the code myself, that's fine, but how easy would it be to do?

This highly depends on mailserver you intend to use with WebMail Pro. Some mailservers provide APIs which allow managing user accounts programatically. On the other hand, there are servers which do not provide such means (e.g. CommuniGate Pro).

Regards,
Igor

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
when was the current major version released (4.0) and can you tell me what the upgrade price from 3.0 was when 4 was released, just so I can get an idea of the discount.

MailBee WebMail Pro v4 was released on September 5, 2007:

http://www.afterlogic.com/news-item.asp?id=10

We provided 50% discount for upgrading from WebMail Pro 3.x. The exact upgrade cost depends on the license type.

Regards,
Igor

MGSteve

Posted: 13 August 2008 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote MGSteve

Igor wrote:
Quote:
Are there any differences between Emails stored in the file system and emails stored in the databases?

[quote]do you have any integration with Anti Spam and Anti Virus systems with XMail Server?

Such features are not available yet, we're considering implementing them in future versions of the product. However, there are several third-party solutions for original XMail Server our edition is based on. Check the "XMail Tools" section of the original XMail Server webpage:

http://www.xmailserver.org/

Those tools can be integrated with our edition of XMail Server too.

Some of the features may require client-side integration too. For example, the Bayesian antispam filter might need to learn from a user which message is SPAM and which one is not, so WebMail would need "Spam" / "No Spam" button(s).

We are able to develop any features you need in terms of a custom project.

Well, I wouldn't be interested in a custom project as it removes the ability to easily upgrade later as new versions are released.

What I wouldn't have an objection to is giving you a donation towards the work being done to integrate anti spam and anti virus into the Webmail Pro system as both are vital to us.

A trainable spam filter is all fair and well, if everyone uses the webmail, but we have a spilt of those who use webmail and others who simply access via POP3.

As a guide, these are the stats for our @mail install...

Emails Received
* 24 hours: 1,946
* 7 days: 19,422
* Total: 397,548

Spam matches
* 24 Hrs: 10,729
* 7 Days: 87,464
* Total: 1,663,823

You see why anti-spam is crucial for us. And this is just basic spam checking - i.e. blacklisted servers etc..

Anti Virus is also important, but we on average only get around 10 viruses a day, although I've just noticed our Clan DB is dated July 07!

As long as its got basic Anti Spam and Anti Virus, it should be ok.

Lastly, do you have the ability to setup redirects, out of office messages and domain catch-all via the webmail pro admin section when using your XMail server?

Sorry for all the questions, want to make sure its right for us before we spend the money...

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 14 August 2008 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote Igor

We've replied you via email.

Regards,
Igor

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register