AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic Aurora
Subject Topic: Helpdesk requests displayed globally? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rHessmann

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 17 April 2014 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote rHessmann

Hi.

I've just download a trial of Aurora Software, using it as a Webmail and integrating to my own infrastructure on a basic level, to check if it attends us.

What attracted us to your product is the Helpdesk functionality.
It seems very handy. actually, it would be extremely useful for us, if tickets were not shown for all users.

Tickets are being displayed for all users, cross-domain. They don't have the ability to answer, but is kinda dumb, though. Is it supposed to be like this, or am I getting something wrong?
Back to Top View rHessmann's Profile Search for other posts by rHessmann

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 17 April 2014 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Igor

Aurora isn't really designed as webmail replacement with advanced features. While it certainly offers webmail interface, its primary purpose is to be used as a collaborative platform, with all the users working together on a same project and/or within the same company. Considering this, we don't really believe that it's necessary to implement some kind of permissions system so that only specific users can read or answer support requests.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

aricci

Posted: 29 April 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote aricci

Igor,

While Aurora may not been originally thought of to work in this manner one of the benefits AfterLogic touts about the product is that we can "Support your customers with a simple but solid ticketing system" any ticketing system that does not provide permission control that allows a moderator to lock down a topic or prevent other users from deleting topics is useless. As it stands now, I am fine with others within the system seeing the contents of a ticket, but they can also delete that ticket even if they did not create it. That makes the Helpdesk functionality useless.
Back to Top View aricci's Profile Search for other posts by aricci

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 30 April 2014 at 3:41am | IP Logged Quote Alex

Consider a system like Asana (we're using it for project management). Everybody can create a task, everybody can then delete it. No permission system at all. And that's great for small teams.

The same is true for our internal helpdesk system (it's not Aurora's Helpdesk which is a successor of our in-house app we've been using for many years). For all that years, we have never had even a single case when the ability to delete any ticket caused any trouble.

Moreover, I cannot imagine the scenario "they can also delete that ticket even if they did not create it". What's wrong with that? It's perfectly fine because this is the way the system always works. Agents always delete threads they haven't created because agents don't create threads. They reply or clean them. It's external clients who create threads, and agents are those who answer or delete them.

Or am I missing your idea?

Regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

aricci

Posted: 30 April 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote aricci

In general, I struggle with the ability for anyone to delete a post because you lose important history about the issue.

Deleting a ticket may be fine when everyone using Aurora works for the same company and there are some established ground rules in place for how the Helpdesk should be used. Although you will still run into the problem I outlined above regarding history.

However, when using Aurora to provide a front-end to various customers from different companies, the ability to delete someone else's post is a big no-no. There needs to be some control in this regard, at the very least a subscriber profile who can post, edit their own posts or reply to a post, and a moderator who can delete.

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 30 April 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Alex

Aurora can be multi-tenant. This means each tenant (a company, actually) has its own helpdesk space, and users from other tenants have no access to data (including helpdesk threads) belonging to other threads.

Still, I agree that having the history of changes is very helpful, and we're considering to add this in the future. But we're indeed reluctant to disabling the ability to delete a thread by everybody in the current tenant.

Maybe, your main complaint is about the case when multiple companies share the same helpdesk space? As I said above, in multi-tenant scenario it's not a problem due to tenant isolation.

Regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Igor

In addition, there is a potential misunderstanding I'd like to clear. In terms of Aurora, there are two types of users:

- internal users of the system, which access the product using its main page and can use webmail interface, contacts, calendar, contacts, etc.;
- and external clients which can only access HelpDesk via special login page and don't have access to any other features, they can only post requests and receive responses.

These two categories are totally separate, and while we believe it's OK for users to see the activity of each other and have access to clients' threads, one client cannot access threads created by another client, or by a system user.

If that doesn't work for you as it's designed to (for example, if external clients see threads of each other), that would certainly be a bug we're willing to fix.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

aricci

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote aricci

How do you set it up as multi-tenant?

I've created two domains and when I post something in the helpdesk of domain 1 it shows up in the helpdesk of domain 2 (and vice versa)?

aricci

Posted: 01 May 2014 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote aricci

The documentation online appears to be outdated. There are features in the settings.xml that are not documented online. Is there newer documentation available for Aurora somewhere?

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 05 May 2014 at 1:03am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
How do you set it up as multi-tenant?

The following item needs to be added to array defined in data/settings/config.php file:

Code:
'tenant' => true,

Enabling the setting must be done before adding domains/users - basically, on a blank install.

Quote:
I've created two domains and when I post something in the helpdesk of domain 1 it shows up in the helpdesk of domain 2 (and vice versa)?

To prevent that, the domains must reside in separate tenants.

Quote:
The documentation online appears to be outdated. There are features in the settings.xml that are not documented online. Is there newer documentation available for Aurora somewhere?

That's right, documentation pages regarding settings.xml and config.php files could use an update. Configuration options available in the product change rather rapidly, and once both WebMail Pro and Aurora get to v7.3 we're going to update that documentation section.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version