Search The ForumSearch   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

MailBee.NET Address Validator

AfterLogic Forum : MailBee.NET Address Validator
Subject Topic: can i use this to replace online services Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
vinnland

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 October 2024 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote vinnland

Currently, my app uses external api services to verify emails.

I have a few questions about this:

1. If this validates email domain existence, does it validate just the domain existence (somebusiness.com) or the specific inbox existence (e.g. max@somebusiness.com)

2. Does this need to be distributed? sending verifications from one IP can get messy. If so, how can I USE it?
Back to Top View vinnland's Profile Search for other posts by vinnland

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 October 2024 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote Igor

The purpose of the component is to verify whether the email address exists. I'd recommend starting with Understanding validation levels section of the Developer's Guide:

• RegexCheck checks if the string looks like an email address, nothing else;
  • DnsQuery validation basically checks whether the domain exists AND there's an actual email server declared there;
  • SmtpConnection attempts to connect to that server;
  • SendAttempt performs a real test of sending email to that address, without sending actual data though.

So the mechanism of Address Validator is rather flexible and is designed to ensure as few false positives as possible. For this to work reliably, however, quite a few requirements have to be met:

Quote:
...your firewall and your ISP's firewall must pass outgoing connections to port 25. Many ISPs block this, so make sure it's not an issue for you.

Also, it's recommended to have a valid PTR (rDNS) record on your IP address (having MX and SPF records would be another plus), and have a working SMTP server there (some hosts only allow connections from hosts which are SMTP servers themselves). It's not necessary to have the SMTP server at the same computer. They just should have the same IP address (for instance, an SMTP server is an Internet gate either while MailBee machine is in internal network and "sees" Internet through this gate). Other working scenarios are possible too. The main idea is to make other servers think you're one of them, not just one of home computers infected by a virus and sending spam, with no public IP address, PTR record, MX record, or SMTP service running.

Even if the connection succeeds, there is no guarantee the SMTP MX host would accept e-mail for the given account name. At this point, all we know is that the e-mail address syntax is correct, the domain is valid, the SMTP MX host for this domain is online.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Igor, Afterlogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version