AfterLogic WebMail Pro

AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: User Interface Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bravedave

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 January 2015 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote bravedave

I use Webmail PRO - mostly. I bought it for my users, but they aren't using it, I'm persevering.

Thanks for your recent update, but you missed targeting your core business.

The things that people use are:
WebMail editor:
One level of bullets or indenting isn't enough, this will only take a couple of buttons. To format a mildly complex email, I have to go outside the editor.

Folder Management:
Looks good, but it is slow - really slow. My email has 15 years of archives and many folders, I have to revert to Thunderbird for management (I chose webmail to get away from this)

I know you'll say go to uservoice, but nothing happens there

Files - cool, but cumbersome, without ability to share folders - so never used that - owncloud does it better - it's not core business.

Opening Word documents on line - ok, looks good, but that means sending the files to Microsoft, so I've turned that off - again this is not core business.

Please: come back to the core business:
* Sending Emails
* Receiving Emails
* Managing Emails

I'd like to see improvements in these features in future releases.
Back to Top View bravedave's Profile Search for other posts by bravedave

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 04 January 2015 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote Alex

Thank you for such a detailed response.

Some comments:
Quote:

One level of bullets or indenting isn't enough, this will only take a couple of buttons. To format a mildly complex email, I have to go outside the editor.

Thanks, added to TODO.

Quote:

Looks good, but it is slow - really slow. My email has 15 years of archives and many folders, I have to revert to Thunderbird for management (I chose webmail to get away from this)

Fixed in the version currently being developed, will be in the next release.

Quote:
Files - cool, but cumbersome, without ability to share folders - so never used that - owncloud does it better - it's not core business.

It's WebMail Pro - a personal webmail system. It's intended for personal users. I.e. the target audience is providers replacing their default webmail package with something more decent and offering this to their subscribers.

What you're talking about is another audience - business users which need to collaborate (share files, share contacts, share calendars and so on). When it comes to sharing anything, AfterLogic Aurora should be selected. It already provides shared storage (Corporate files) and we'll add custom sharing options in next releases.

Quote:
I know you'll say go to uservoice, but nothing happens there

I don't know what led you think this way. Many ideas we implemented in our product were inspired by Uservoice. Perhaps, this is because Closed items are not visible there (so you can only see topics which are open, all those which are resolved are simply not there).

Regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

bravedave

Posted: 04 January 2015 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote bravedave

Thanks for your reply Alex

Great to hear that the two main items will/are/have be addressed (i.e. the folders management and the editor). Thanks - that is a great step.

with regards to the files though - that's a valid comment about where you are targeting, but: the case of a personal user and files share vs folder share.

When I saw this feature I thought great - but what would I use it for ? my first thoughts were photos, well I can send a photo to someone in an email, why files ? - because there are lots of photos (say 5 x 10 Mega-pixel photos) which would exceed a standard 20Megabyte email size (which a lot of providers enforce)

but to use it for that, I would have to enter the sharing procedure 5 times, or zip them up and share that - which presumably would require the end user to download / save / then open ... that stops me using it ..

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 05 January 2015 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
but to use it for that, I would have to enter the sharing procedure 5 times, or zip them up and share that - which presumably would require the end user to download / save / then open ... that stops me using it ..

Not sure if we're speaking of the same sharing functionality here. While in Files screen, you can select a folder and create public link for it. You'll send that link to a friend of yours, they'll open that folder and will be able to download any of the files in that folder.

If you believe that will better work in some different way, we'd appreciate if you describe it in detail.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

bravedave

Posted: 05 January 2015 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote bravedave

That seems so obvious now, but I could not find that functionality before

Thanks Igor

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register