AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: Auto check mail Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nickux

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 July 2010 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote nickux

Hello,

I am using PHP/4.10 Pro version and I was looking at the new feature, Auto Check account for emails.

I have a couple observations to make, probably I'm missing something so I hope my questions don't sound naive.

1) I fail to see how the auto_checkmail_interval is populated via administrative interface. The only way to change it seems to be the DB directly.

2) Why is there a predefined set of times (0, 1, 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes) in class_processorswitch.php line 987? I assume that you plan on implementing a combobox with values but if so, shouldn't admin be able to set the polling time, for example 60 minutes or 2 minutes? Why are those the only values allowed?

3) From my observations, I see that only the current account is polled and checked.

Also, the polling interval is set per user. I believe it should be set per e-mail account. For example local account A must have different time polling value than external account B. And the admin/domain admin/user should be able to change the polling per account.

I believe this makes more sense since some accounts need to be checked more often and others not really, especially accounts that create system overhead (for example with thousands of e-mails).

4) Combined with that, shouldn't all accounts be checked? A user may be currently in the mail list of account A but he should be notified if an email arrives on account B. This makes more sense to me. And each account at X interval of its own, not all at the same time for better system performace.

5) What is the current notification for new email arrived? Is there one? Because I am not sure I found it. I believe a sound should play (configurable on/off) and some sort of visual notification (on/off).

As an idea, see SAMPLE #2 here: http://stanlemon.net/projects/jgrowl.html#samples

I am referring to sample #2 because it's "sticky" so that user can see the message later if the browser window is not on top of his screen at that time and switches to it after email(s) arrive.

6) Do you have plans for fetching new messages and populating database externally? For example via PHP command line instead of ajax request in the browser?

7) Do you plan on implementing some sort of anti-abuse against continuous pressing of "check for new mail"? In case a mailbox is loaded, this may create unnecessary load on the mail server. This can be handled in a proxying POP3/IMAP4 daemon (for example nginx with custom auth) but in such case the proxy typically returns no access which may cause problems with the webmail expecting a valid reply from the mail server.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Nickux
Back to Top View nickux's Profile Search for other posts by nickux

penrose.a

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 July 2010 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote penrose.a

1) I had the same problem. There's a new feature but you can't use it using the administration panel. Anyway this is how you can fix it from the database directly :

connect to your server as root
# mysql -u yourdbusername -p
enter password : yourdbpassword

Then type :
UPDATE awm_settings SET auto_checkmail_interval="1";

That will auto check emails every 1 minute.
Back to Top View penrose.a's Profile Search for other posts by penrose.a

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version