AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: username format and log in questions Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
chris

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote chris

Hi all,

Is there a way that I can set the username format?

I'd like to set it up so that users can log in with just their email/password. But usernames on my server are formatted like name.domain (no .com). Is there an easy hack that I can use to just reformat the email address and have that as the login?

Also, when a user logs in, a notice comes up saying 'logging off the server' and then it logs in and gets email. Why? Is that normal?

And when a user logs in, it can take 10, 15 seconds of 'webmail is loading' before it finally comes up. And that's with an almost empty mailbox. Is that normal?

Thanks for any help :)
Back to Top View chris's Profile Search for other posts by chris

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 5:10am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
Is there a way that I can set the username format?

I'd like to set it up so that users can log in with just their email/password. But usernames on my server are formatted like name.domain (no .com). Is there an easy hack that I can use to just reformat the email address and have that as the login?

In order to provide you with relevant helpful info on this, we need to know which version of the product you are using (Lite / Pro, .NET / PHP)

Quote:
Also, when a user logs in, a notice comes up saying 'logging off the server' and then it logs in and gets email. Why? Is that normal?

And when a user logs in, it can take 10, 15 seconds of 'webmail is loading' before it finally comes up. And that's with an almost empty mailbox. Is that normal?

WebMail needs to download lots of JavaScript code (up to 1Mbyte for the Pro version) to create user interface, it doesn't depend on mails loaded from mail server as WebMail has already logged off the server by that time. However, the code is placed into the browser cache and should not be retrieved from the server again in most cases.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

chris

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote chris

Hi Igor,

Thank you, I understand about the logging off and loading now, thank you.

I'm using the pro-php version.

I'm sure you'all have already considered this, but is there any kind of compacting program or other way to make the js smaller? Maybe something on this end I can install?

Thanks,

Chris

chris

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote chris

One more thing...

I need to set this up so that users can not change their password.

I don't see that as an option for that in the admin panel.

What file would that option (settings, email accounts) so I can just comment it out?

Thanks again, Chris

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
I'm using the pro-php version.

In WebMail Pro PHP, several files are obfuscated (i.e. made as unreadable as possible) to prevent breaking license key checks, and a fix would involve one of those files (processing.php). We can provide you with "clean" versions of those files and a fix you need for login, but purchasing WebMail Pro license is required for this. Once the license is purchased, submit an inquiry via our HelpDesk. Be sure to specify your order number and a link to this forum thread to speed up processing of your inquiry.

Quote:
I'm sure you'all have already considered this, but is there any kind of compacting program or other way to make the js smaller? Maybe something on this end I can install?

That's right, we're working on this right now. Upcoming version 4.6 of WebMail Pro will fully support sending content to web browser GZIPped, that can drastically minimize bandwidth usage. This new version will become available in a month or so.

Quote:
I need to set this up so that users can not change their password.

Not sure if we understood the purpose of this. WebMail Pro allows specifying user account password, but it's not possible to change POP3/IMAP account password from WebMail Pro. In other words, user can specify his/her existing password in WebMail but cannot change it on mail server.

Additionally, if password was changed on mail server (e.g. by mail server administrator), user doesn't have to change it in account settings, it would be enough to log in using this new password, and it will be saved to settings automatically.

Considering the above, if you still need such fix, modify screen.account-properties.js file (line ~588):
Code:
tr = tbl.insertRow(rowIndex++);
td = tr.insertCell(0);
td.className = 'wm_settings_title';
td.innerHTML = '* ' + Lang.MailIncPass + ':';
WebMail.LangChanger.Register('innerHTML', td, 'MailIncPass', ':', '* ');
td = tr.insertCell(1);
td.colSpan = 2;
inp = CreateChildWithAttrs(td, 'input', [['class', 'wm_input wm_settings_input'], ['type', 'password'], ['maxlength', '255']]);
inp.onchange = function () { obj.hasChanges = true; };
this._mailIncPassObj = inp;

Replace both class descriptions "wm_settings_title" and "wm_input wm_settings_input" with "wm_hide".

For classic HTML (non-AJAX) version of WebMail Pro interface, apply the similar replacement rule to classic/settings.panel.php file (line ~636):
Code:
<tr>
    <td class="wm_settings_title">* '.JS_LANG_MailIncPass.':</td>
    <td colspan="2">
        <input class="wm_input wm_settings_input" type="password" name="fm_inc_password" maxlength="255" value="'.ConvertUtils::AttributeQuote(DUMMYPASSWORD).'" id="fm_inc_password"/>
    </td>
</tr>

The fix is provided AS IS, no warranty. You can also try to remove or comment those lines out but we don't guarantee it will work as expected.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

chris

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote chris

Great, thank you very much Igor.

The reason we want to disable the password changing is that this is for an organization. The administrators want the ability to log in and review staff accounts.

If a staff member changes their password, that would make it more difficult for them to easily review their activity.

hmmm, the organization is also required to put a hippa privacy statement on their outgoing emails. Is there a way to put a system wide signature/footer on the email as they are sent?

Thanks again for all your help, I'll look forward to the next version coming out :)

Chris

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 May 2009 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
the organization is also required to put a hippa privacy statement on their outgoing emails. Is there a way to put a system wide signature/footer on the email as they are sent?

I have to check this with developers as it's beyond things I can dig through myself ;) I will keep you updated.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 18 May 2009 at 3:48am | IP Logged Quote Igor

I've got a response on this from our developers team. We're going to make WebMail Pro PHP customizable by adding plug-in system. It's not fully supported in current version, but it already allows making custom changes which are NOT overwritten when WebMail is upgraded. This is how it works in this particular case:

Add custom subfolder into the data folder of WebMail Pro PHP and place custom_data_class.php file there, it should have the following content:

Code:
<?php

/* webmail */
    class wm_CustomDataClass
    {
        /**
        * web/action.php ~1686
        * web/processing.php ~2876
        * @param WebMailMessage $msg
        */
        function ChangeMessageBeforeSend(&$msg)
               {
                   if  ($msg && $msg->TextBodies)
                   {
                        $msg->TextBodies->AddTextBannerToBodyText('Text To Be Added');
                   }
               }
        }

Please note that you can only add plaintext message this way, HTML is not supported. If you need to add a line break, don't use either \r\n or <br />, just add a real line break:
Code:
                        $msg->TextBodies->AddTextBannerToBodyText('Text Line 1
Line 2
And Line 3 To Be Added');

If you're using non-ASCII characters, be sure to use UTF8 without byte-order mark (UTF8 without BOM).

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version