Search The ForumSearch   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

AfterLogic WebMail Pro

AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: Use of Access Database with PHPO version Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
leei

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 December 2007 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote leei

I have version 4.1 of WebMail Pro PHP. The installation instructions state that an Access database can be used, but I am unable to find where to do this. The database configuration page only shows options for MySQL and MS SQL Server.

Can you point me to where and how I would configure this?

Thanks,
Lee
Back to Top View leei's Profile Search for other posts by leei

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 21 December 2007 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

If you need to use MS Access database backend, you should use ASP.NET version of MailBee WebMail Pro. PHP version doesn't support MS Access.

You already have WebMail Pro PHP v4.0 working with MS SQL Server or MySQL. Why do you need to use MS Access? MS SQL Server and MySQL are much more reliable database engines. They work much faster than MS Access. Especially if MS Access database grows to 1 GB+, it becomes extremely slow.

Best regards,
Andrew
Back to Top View Andrew's Profile Search for other posts by Andrew

leei

Posted: 21 December 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote leei

Andrew,

I don't have the Pro version working with either MySQL or SQL Server. I was waiting for support for Access in the 4.1 version.

My application involves a local mail server combined with WebMail to supply mobile email access using a radio-based email system (all on the same machine). In this configuration neither MySQL or SQL Server will allow me the data flexibility I need when supplying email services to different groups (from the same system at different times) – sharing address books or email history between different groups would not be allowed.

The simplicity of a single Access db file enables me to easily switch from serving one group of people to another. Of course this can be done with the other database options, but not nearly as easy. Add to that that almost anyone (non tech type) can open an Access data file and have access to their email history.

I’m sure that I saw that Access would be supported in the 4.1 PHP release. I can understand if that has been delayed. What are the plans to support Access database in the PHP version?

Thanks,
Lee

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 21 December 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

We were going to support MS Access in WebMail Pro PHP 4.1, but decided not to do this because PHP version of the product is more Linux/Unix oriented, but MS Access database can be used on Windows platform only. So it doesn't make a sense to implement MS Access in PHP version because if you need MS Access, you're on Windows platform and is able to install ASP.NET version.

Is it an option for you to use ASP.NET version of the product?

Best regards,
Andrew
Back to Top View Andrew's Profile Search for other posts by Andrew

leei

Posted: 21 December 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote leei

Andrew,

I'll reply using your support request form and provide you with more information.

Lee

leei

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged Quote leei

Hi Andrew,

Here's a possible reason to continue cross-platform enhancements in your PHP WebMail product - IIS 7.0 (in my particular case, support for Access databases). Here's an exert from a recent MSDN article describing how easy it is to integrate a PHP application into an IIS 7.0 hosted Asp.Net site:

"In the time since Windows Vista shipped, we've been hard at work making sure IIS 7.0 will be a reliable and secure Web server in Windows Server® 2008, honing its stability, performance, and support for hosting environments. We've also taken a hard look at what it means for IIS 7.0 to be a flexible Web application platform. Besides being an excellent platform for Microsoft application frameworks like ASP and ASP.NET, we wanted it to be a great platform for a wide variety of other application frameworks in use today. To facilitate this, we added support for FastCGI, an open Web server standard that allows application frameworks such as PHP, Ruby on Rails, and Perl to be hosted on IIS. We also collaborated with Zend Technologies, the creator of PHP, to bring a solid, high-performance PHP implementation to Windows® and IIS."

You can see the full article at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/08/01/PHPandIIS7/?l oc=en&rss=y

Hope your holiday's were fun and full of joy.

Regards,
Lee

Alex
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 30 December 2007 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Alex

Thank you for the article. However, for the time being, MS Access for PHP is not planned yet. It's not a marketing decision. We found it a great pain to add MS Access support into PHP version due to many issues of interoperability of both platforms. Shortly speaking, it won't work reliably.

Regards,
Alex
Back to Top View Alex's Profile Search for other posts by Alex

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version