Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
rishi_somshetti
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 November 2009 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote rishi_somshetti

Nov 12, 2009

Can xMailPro function as intranet mail server? What I mean to say is...

1. It is installed on the company's intranet
2. It downloads mails from the company's main mail server and distributes locally.
3. This way not all the POP accounts need to connect directly to the mail server. But they only need to connect mails to local mail server.
4. In case mails are sent to and from company's employee those will be distributed locally and need not go to the mail mail server.

Rishi
Back to Top View rishi_somshetti's Profile Search for other posts by rishi_somshetti

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

Quote:
1. It is installed on the company's intranet

Yes. There's no difference whether it's installed in intranet or internet.

Quote:
2. It downloads mails from the company's main mail server and distributes locally.

There're several ways to accomplish this:

- Configure "POP3 fetching" feature on necessary accounts. In this case, when a user logs into his XMail mailbox through POP3 or IMAP, XMail will automatically download mail from mailbox on another server specified for "POP3 fetching". The original messages in the external mailbox will be deleted after downloading.

- Configure "SMTP forwarding" feature on the external server which will automatically forward incoming messages to XMail.

Quote:
3. This way not all the POP accounts need to connect directly to the mail server. But they only need to connect mails to local mail server.
4. In case mails are sent to and from company's employee those will be distributed locally and need not go to the mail mail server.

This will work.

Best regards,
Andrew
Back to Top View Andrew's Profile Search for other posts by Andrew

rishi_somshetti
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 4:19am | IP Logged Quote rishi_somshetti

Can you clarify a bit on the 4th point?
Right now, when I SEND mails from and to a local domain (that is configured as an external domain in Xmail Pro), the mails still go to the EXTERNAL SERVER.
Back to Top View rishi_somshetti's Profile Search for other posts by rishi_somshetti

Andrew
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 5:31am | IP Logged Quote Andrew

That's correct. Messages addresses to external domains, XMail tries to deliver to external domains. If you create necessary domain as an internal XMail domain, XMail will not try to deliver messages addressed to that domain to external SMTP servers.

Best regards,
Andrew
Back to Top View Andrew's Profile Search for other posts by Andrew

rishi_somshetti
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 13 November 2009 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote rishi_somshetti

Our setup is like this:

My domain xyz.com is hosted at a mail server (which has a public IP)

I want to use Xmail Server Pro in my intranet (with private IP). xyz.com will be configured here as an external domain; i.e Xmail Server Pro will download messages from the main mail server and distribute it to the users (to Microsoft Outlook)

Microsoft Outlook settings will have the Xmail server pro SMTP and POP IP address (i.e. private IP).

Now when I send mail from xyz.com to any external domains (like yahoo, gmail etc.); the mails go to the main server (which is alright).

But what I want is, when I send mail from xyz.com to xyz.com (i.e. local delivery), the mails should not go to the main mail server but instead be delivered via Xmail Server Pro locally itself.

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 16 November 2009 at 4:56am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
But what I want is, when I send mail from xyz.com to xyz.com (i.e. local delivery), the mails should not go to the main mail server but instead be delivered via Xmail Server Pro locally itself.

This can be done either on XMail Server side by using POP3 fetcher or by forwarding directly from xyz.com by means of the server running there.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version