Search The ForumSearch   RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

AfterLogic WebMail Pro

AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: .NET Users being able to change passwords Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NXTwoThou

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 January 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote NXTwoThou

I just upgraded from the lite version to the Pro version because my boss needed the ability to attach files. With this version, we're required to put in the different users and am running into some odd ball behavior.

I started putting in users and made a mistake on one(password), I don't see any ability to edit them from the admin panel. I then logged on and looked for a way to change the password from the users login, couldn't see anything. I checked settings.xml and changed AllowPasswordReset to On but still am not seeing anything. When I log onto the demo from the website, I can see the password change option under Email Accounts/Properties, but this doesn't appear in the copy I downloaded today.

To get past this temporarily, I deleted the user and recreated them. When I did this, I noticed that my user count under licening increased. So deleted users count towards our total user count??? How do I have 18 users listed but it thinks I have 23 users licensed?

How does a user that has multiple domains work with the Pro version? My boss has a single inbox for the 20 or so domains and 3 businesses he owns. How is he able to reply using a different email address like in the Lite? It feels like we've lost functionality by paying for the software. I've got to be missing something.
Back to Top View NXTwoThou's Profile Search for other posts by NXTwoThou

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 19 January 2012 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
I started putting in users and made a mistake on one(password), I don't see any ability to edit them from the admin panel.

That's not really required. If user's password is changed, user simply should log in with new password supplied.

Quote:
When I log onto the demo from the website, I can see the password change option under Email Accounts/Properties, but this doesn't appear in the copy I downloaded today.

That is because Live Demo actually runs MailSuite Pro (webmail client integrated with mail server software directly) rather than standard WebMail Pro application.

Quote:
So deleted users count towards our total user count??? How do I have 18 users listed but it thinks I have 23 users licensed?

That would be a bug, I think, and we'll take a look into this.

Quote:
How does a user that has multiple domains work with the Pro version? My boss has a single inbox for the 20 or so domains and 3 businesses he owns. How is he able to reply using a different email address like in the Lite?

Identities are not currently supported by WebMail Pro, the only way to perform operation of such kind is to add multiple emails to primary user's email account, so that user is able to switch between accounts with a dropdown tool, and that applies to selecting "From:" address as well.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

NXTwoThou

Posted: 22 January 2012 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote NXTwoThou

Quote:
That's not really required. If user's password is changed, user simply should log in with new password supplied.

I don't get this. If I'm in the admin panel, I create the user. I enter the password. I try and log in as the user but can't, the only explaination I know is that I fat fingered the password. How do I reset the password? At no point is the user able to log in because the correct password is unknown.

Quote:
That is because Live Demo actually runs MailSuite Pro (webmail client integrated with mail server software directly) rather than standard WebMail Pro application.

So, you are saying there's no way to change the password with WebMail Pro?

Quote:
Identities are not currently supported by WebMail Pro, the only way to perform operation of such kind is to add multiple emails to primary user's email account, so that user is able to switch between accounts with a dropdown tool, and that applies to selecting "From:" address as well.

Which is another option I'm not seeing.

We upgraded to pro because my boss had an operation and while in bed rest, wanted to be able to attach files. The free version didn't support that. Now that we've upgraded, we've had nothing but problems. He just now told me that he's not been able to send anything. He just gets an "Internal Server Error. Please, contact your system administrator in order to report the problem.". When I enable logging, nothing is getting saved.(I'm trying to remotely right now). I'm hoping that my installation is just borked.

When I get into work in the morning I'm just going to delete the database and start over. I did upgrade the free ASP.Net version and maybe the upgrade button left something hanging funny. I also just noticed I'm able to freely create duplicate users and after doing so, even though I've deleted them all out using the adminpanel and then recreated just one user, I can no longer log in as that user at all. Its a complete mess and I'm getting more than frustrated with it.

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 23 January 2012 at 12:55am | IP Logged Quote Igor

First of all, even though WebMail Pro allows for adding user accounts from AdminPanel, the recommended way is auto-provisioning: as long as the domain itself is configured correctly, users should be able to log in, creating account in AdminPanel explicitly is not required.

However, if you choose to create accounts through AdminPanel directly, and your mail server requires supplying email address for login, you should specify login accordingly: it should be johndoe@domain.com entered there, not johndoe. This might be confusing, particularly since AdminPanel doesn't check if credentials are correct, user is added anyway. So the problem might be about login, not about password.

Password change feature is not there, since it's technically impossible to change password for user via POP3/IMAP or SMTP protocol. And in case if user account password was changed on mail server, user simply should supply a new password when logging in.

By the way, we weren't able to replicate the issue with deleting user and user count unchanged. This may be related to upgrading from older Lite build, we'll need to know if the problem persists on blank install.

If you encounter any issues, like that "Internal server error" message you mentioned, logging might be really helpful. I'd like to remind that this forum is a community support resource, so if you'd like to get assistance from AfterLogic team, you should open a ticket in our HelpDesk instead.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

NXTwoThou

Posted: 23 January 2012 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote NXTwoThou

This morning when I first got in, the first thing I tried doing is looking for the log file. I found out that the Log folder wasn't there. After I created it, a lot of the really odd issues went away. At least he's able to send emails now, I haven't had time to research any of the other things. But the big deal breaker has been eliminated. Was something simple.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version