AfterLogic WebMail Pro

AfterLogic Forum : AfterLogic WebMail Pro
Subject Topic: Password Change Issue Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dillon

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 January 2010 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote Dillon

Hello, I just set up Afterlogic Webmail on my website, it works great! I just have one issue with it. My website hoster is hostmonster, they use CPanel. When I log into my email account on afterlogic webmail, and click the settings and change my password there, it changes the password. But it dosent get rid of the old one. So I can log in to check my email with my old password and my new password. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks alot for any help!

-Dillon
Back to Top View Dillon's Profile Search for other posts by Dillon

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 1:34am | IP Logged Quote Igor

If you change password in WebMail Pro, you change WebMail account password and not the password of email account itself.

WebMail Pro operates using standard POP3/IMAP/SMTP protocols, and none of those allows changing account password. So if you need to change email account password, you should do this by means of CPanel.

There's one more thing worth mentioning: if password was changed on mailserver side, you don't need to change it in WebMail Pro account settings, just log in using new account password. WebMail Pro will check new password against POP3/IMAP account, and if it is found to be correct, it will be modified in account settings automatically.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support
Back to Top View Igor's Profile Search for other posts by Igor

Dillon

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote Dillon

Oh ok, thanks for the reply! Is there a way that it an only check the webmail password and not the Cpanel one? If not how can I get rid of the "change password" section in the settings on webmail? Thanks!

-Dillon
Back to Top View Dillon's Profile Search for other posts by Dillon

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 13 January 2010 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Quote:
Is there a way that it an only check the webmail password and not the Cpanel one?

WebMail Pro accesses email accounts using POP3/IMAP protocol, and POP3/IMAP account password is actually used for accessing your account in WebMail Pro, i.e. the one set up in CPanel. They just can't be different.

Quote:
If not how can I get rid of the "change password" section in the settings on webmail?

By unchecking "Allow user(s) to change email settings" for any given account or for all user accounts (the latter would not be applied to existing accounts).

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

enetec

Posted: 17 June 2010 at 11:46pm | IP Logged Quote enetec

Igor wrote:
If you change password in WebMail Pro, you change WebMail account password and not the password of email account itself.
Ok...

Igor wrote:

WebMail Pro operates using standard POP3/IMAP/SMTP protocols, and none of those allows changing account password. So if you need to change email account password, you should do this by means of CPanel.
Ok...

Igor wrote:

There's one more thing worth mentioning: if password was changed on mailserver side, you don't need to change it in WebMail Pro account settings, just log in using new account password. WebMail Pro will check new password against POP3/IMAP account, and if it is found to be correct, it will be modified in account settings automatically.
Well, is it the same for WebMail lite (ASP.NET)?

Because, as you know by my HelpDesk ticket, I'have found problems after changing password on my hMailServer accounts...

Webmail lite is able to check new password by POP3/IMAP and permits me to login and check mail (IMAP folders by Direct Connect), BUT continue to use "old" (no more valid...) password for SMTP, and so, it's unable to send mails anymore.

Only if I "revert" to original password I can send emails again...

By a "fast look" to the code it seems to change _only_ the POP3/IMAP password if it found that changed @ login... am I wrong? (I'm looking in BaseWebMailActions.cs now...)

More... if I set hMailServer to accept local SMTP sending without authentication and, enabling "advanced login" in WebMail Lite I uncheck SMTP authentication @ login... it seems to continue to use (wrong) authentication since it fail the same manner... (?!?)
(by hMailServer LOGs it seems to continue to try to log by Username & password.... )

Anybody has found how to solve this issue?
Back to Top View enetec's Profile Search for other posts by enetec

enetec

Posted: 20 June 2010 at 7:10pm | IP Logged Quote enetec

I really can't find what is the .cs file which makes the check for a changed password and update db for incoming password only...

Any hint?

Otherwise I could fix this myself...

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 24 June 2010 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote Igor

I have discussed this with the developers. It turns out that the problem exists in WebMail Pro as well. When user account is created on first login, SMTP login/password fields are filled with default value, and they won't be modified when you log in with your new password, they will still remain.

There are several ways to fix the issue, and we thought it would be the best approach if those fields are NOT filled when account is created on first login. That would totally eliminate the issue with SMTP password not modified, it would stay empty and thus POP3/IMAP password will be used which should be fine.

To implement this approach, remove or comment out the following lines in App_Code/Account.cs file (line ~548):
Code:
acct.MailOutgoingLogin = email;
acct.MailOutgoingPassword = password;

To apply changes, run compile.bat file found in main folder of WebMail.

This will not help towards existing email accounts, you'll need to modify their passwords manually by tweaking SQL database records.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

enetec

Posted: 27 June 2010 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote enetec

Igor wrote:
To implement this approach, remove or comment out the following lines in App_Code/Account.cs file (line ~548):
Code:
acct.MailOutgoingLogin = email;
acct.MailOutgoingPassword = password;

To apply changes, run compile.bat file found in main folder of WebMail.
Hi Igor, these lines @ about 548 were already missing in Account.cs... so I remove these in previous if condition @ about 529 and now (with a new databa

enetec

Posted: 27 June 2010 at 11:09am | IP Logged Quote enetec

database) all works fine.

Thanx a lot!

EneTec

danlega2

Posted: 29 July 2013 at 1:57am | IP Logged Quote danlega2

Hi I am newbie here, I installed hmailserver 5.4 and webmail lite in a 2003 windows server with MS SQL 2000. I created user accounts with temporary passwords, users can access their email without any problem using the default credentials aI initially created. when users change passwords they are still able to login with their old passwords. When they login with their new passwords an error message occurs "Wrong email/login and/or password. Authentication failed." but they can still access their email.

I have tried to do the suggestion by enetec but doesn't work...

Any help would be great! TIA
Back to Top View danlega2's Profile Search for other posts by danlega2

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 29 July 2013 at 2:02am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Can you confirm you have enabled integration with hMailServer? Setting up accounts and accessing them with WebMail Pro is not enough, you need to make sure the integration itself works.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

Igor
AfterLogic Support
AfterLogic Support

Posted: 29 July 2013 at 2:16am | IP Logged Quote Igor

Note that the integration is designed for the Pro only, no idea if it's going to work with Lite. I'd suggest to try the Pro version and see if it works for you.

--
Regards,
Igor, AfterLogic Support

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version